06 March 2010

Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story (Todd Haynes, 1987)


I feel like such an idiot for never guessing that this movie was so easily available on the internet. I'm sure I must have looked for it before but I'm kind of hopeless when it comes to finding digital contraband on the internet. It turns out that it's on Youtube but somebody sent me an AVI file so that was good.
It seems to be the film that brought Todd Haynes to prominence. It's the story of Karen Carpenter's rise and fall where all the actors are Barbie dolls. It's strange that it's the Carpenters who sued and had it 86'd and not Mattel. It's really kind of a fabulous film. It's played as less of a joke than I expected and it's much more touching than you'd think. It's a shame it's illegal to exhibit this movie. It should get an exemption for being art. B+

No comments:

Post a Comment