18 March 2010

Bluebeard / La barbe bleue (Catherine Breillat, 2009, France)


I guess you probably know this is Catherine Breillat's interpretation of the fairytale Bluebeard, which I've never read. The story is intercut with a story of two young sisters in the 1950s in an attic, the younger daughter reading the story to the older sister. The movie is definitely engaging, particularly on the strength of the cast. The girls in the contemporary story are particularly beguiling, especially the younger one, who is preternaturally adorable. No matter how many glowing reviews I read of this movie I can't seem to stop feeling like I wanted more from it. I didn't like the ending. I mean, I've defended the ending of Fat Girl but I'm not sure this one seemed justified and I haven't seen any of the critics address it at all. Oh well. C

Edit: The upside to writing about all the movies I see right away is that I don't find myself needing to write an update about 15 movies at a time. I'm really happy that I've been able to keep this going for a while because it seems like a nice habit. The downside to writing about them right away is that I haven't had time to think about them beforehand. It occurred to me when I was getting out of the shower today (I have no idea why) that the ending here might be about the end of childhood innocence. I'm not sure if that's what she meant but it worked for me. I guess I was so engaged in the story I couldn't really think about it abstractly. I don't know. I'm still not sure I liked the ending. It seems to have kept my unconscious mind interested at least twelve hours after seeing the film though since it just sort of popped into my head an hour ago and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment