23 January 2010

Wild Side / Wanda Sykes / Kings and Queen / Bukowski

It's been a while since I updated. I was feeling under the weather so I had this combination of falling asleep during everything and then not being sure if or what to write about anything.

First I watched Sebastien Lifshitz's Teddy Award winning Wild Side and I quite enjoyed it. I mostly watched it because I was curious about the Antony Hegarty performance, which it turns out I could have seen on Youtube and which is in the first few minutes of the movie. I ended up quite liking it. I mean, I didn't love it. I don't know what it is about this particular film template but I don't really love it. This was kind of enchanting though and I really am keen to watch it again. B+

Wanda Sykes's stand up movie Sick and Tired was funny but I dozed off. I guess it wasn't anything other than I had expected. B-

Since I wasn't a particular fan of Arnaud Desplechin's A Christmas Tale, I was really interested in checking out Kings and Queen. They both reminded me of My Favorite Season, I decided. There's something more mature and adult about them than most movies but I'm not altogether sure I buy completely into the world they present. I like though the way you're primed to want this man to take care of this boy and you're primed to empathize with the protagonist and then the movie turns on you and says, GROW UP YOU'RE BEING STUPID. I don't know. Again, I feel like I need to watch it again. B

The problem with Bukowski: Born Into This is that I don't buy into the central premise of the movie that Charles Bukowski is a great artist worthy of frothing over. D+

more later...

No comments:

Post a Comment